The Cairns Convention Centre is set to shine, centre-stage, on the international arena of state-of-the-art entertainment venues. It follows the completion of a multimillion dollar makeover. Mr Pyne today announced the mammoth refurbishment project’s completion date: August 12. The $13 M upgrade – a capital injection that has put the Centre back on the international map as a cutting edge venue. At the time of the works, the refurbishment program also created more than two hundred jobs with a large majority of workers being locals.
“The completion of this $13 M project – a venue of such calibre – is extremely exciting for Cairns,” Mr Pyne said. “We can be proud to have this state-of-the-art facility to enjoy in our own backyard while also showcasing it to visitors from all over the world.”
“It will also bolster our local economy with great economic spin-offs; with the number of events held at the Centre…set to soar,” he says.
The multimillion dollar facelift ensures the venue maintains its competitive edge as an award winning Convention Centre. Among the myriad of completed refurbishments is the Convention Centre’s exterior. It has been revamped and undergone a colour change to present an updated contemporary and stylish new appearance.
Internationally renowned, the Centre boasts an array of attractive upgrades including:
- A new arrival zone featuring lighting that has the ability to change colour to suit client requirements.
- LED signage stretching the length of the zone and new sliding glass doors to improve ease of access.
- Large LED screens have been placed throughout the Centre for use by clients, their partners and sponsors.
- Solar hot water panels have been replaced with the very latest technology delivering more effective use and efficiency of natural resources.
- The Centre’s signature meeting space, the Great Hall, has been re-carpeted.
- New soft furnishings throughout the building to provide more networking spaces.
- Lifts, car parking, air-conditioning and other core services have been upgraded to ensure greater efficiency and effective use of the building for the comfort of visitors.
- Important security features such as CCTV and bollards have been upgraded to provide for the continued safety of delegates and patrons.
- After nearly 20 years, a roof replacement and refurbishment has also been undertaken to further ensure the integrity of the building well into the future.
“I know locals and visitors will revel in this extraordinary Convention Centre situated right in the heart of Cairns,” Mr Pyne says.
Check out the events happening here.